About the courses
Our Online Courses are on Christian mystics and masters especially those of the Carmelite tradition and are delivered online either as self-study courses or distance learning courses with an instructor. These courses also aim to open up the rich treasury of the venerable Carmelite tradition with its 800-year history. From this tradition has emerged a host of great saints and writers who have enriched the Church and guided countless pilgrims along the road of prayer and in their quest for deeper intimacy with God. In these courses the key contributions of Carmelite saints and mystics – Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross, Brother Lawrence of the Resurrection, Thérèse of Lisieux, Elizabeth of the Trinity and Edith Stein – with regard to prayer and growth of the interior life are explored in a way that encourages practical appropriation of the disciplines they illuminate so compellingly in their writings: solitude, silence, community, contemplation, presence, prayer, listening, discernment, hospitality and integration.
- There will be reflection questions for each session where participants will be able to send their responses to the instruction, who will respond.
- There will be video content and two 30 minute presentations for each lesson.
- Course elements will be added weekly but you will be able to work at your own speed.
- All material will be available for 6 months.
Download – poster MYSTICAL WISDOM v1
Study the life and spirituality of the Carmelite Saint Elizabeth of the Trinity in this NEW COURSE by the
Centre for Applied Carmelite Spirituality, Oxford
The Prophetic Spirituality of Elizabeth of the Trinity
In this new 10-week course you’ll learn who Saint Elizabeth of the Trinity was, why her spirituality continues to be relevant for today, and the main themes in her writings. Drawing on Elizabeth’s experience, this course will provide you with a systematic study of the foundational means and principles for an authentic response to Christ’s invitation and calling to deeper conversion and intimacy, as well as participation in his mission.
In this new 10-week course you will learn about…
- The formative influences on Elizabeth
- Elizabeth’s life and legacy
- Elizabeth’s prophetic spirituality and why it’s so powerful
- The power of the sacraments in Elizabeth’s life and spirituality
- The transformative power of scripture in Elizabeth’s experience
- How Elizabeth can help us appreciate silence and contemplative prayer
- How Elizabeth can help us engage the culture of today
- Elizabeth’s relationship with the Blessed Virgin Mary
- Elizabeth’s Trinitarian spirituality
- How Elizabeth’s teaching can help us to respond and be perfectly conformed to Christ Crucified
- FURTHER READING
- Your course Instructor is Heather Ward, OCDS, BA, M.Ed., PhD
Heather is a Carmelite with many years of experience in spiritual guidance and serves as a formator for the Secular Order in the UK. She teaches a number of modules on Carmelite spirituality for the Carmelite Institute of Britain and Ireland (CIBI) and is also a member of its Academic Board. Heather is part of the team that runs the Spiritual Direction Training Programme of CACS.
Start the new course on 2nd February 2021.
COST: £270 IF YOU ARE OCDS – PLEASE EMAIL FOR COST DETAILS firstname.lastname@example.org
How can two sixteenth-century Spaniards and a nineteenth-century French woman help men and women of the twenty-first century who are thirsting for deeper meaning and fulfilment in their lives?
Over eight sessions, this NEW ONLINE COURSE by the
Centre for Applied Carmelite Spirituality, Oxford
Mystical Wisdom for the Ages:
Insights from the Carmelite Doctors of the Church
Will invite participants to explore the mystical wisdom of Saints Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and Thérèse of Lisieux – three figures recognized as “Doctors of the Church.” We will consider the significance of each saint in their particular historical context and then contemplate the ways in which their life and writings crackle with relevance for people today seeking to grow in the spiritual life. Throughout the course, there will be opportunities to engage with selections from these mystics’ writings and commentaries on their contemporary importance, as well as scope to reflect upon how Teresa, John and Thérèse are meaningful to us personally.
In this new 8-week course, you’ll learn about…
- The significance and place of ‘Doctors of the Church’ for today
- Saint Teresa of Avila’s life and legacy
- Saint John of the Cross’ context, life and writings
- Formative influences on Saint Therese of Lisieux
- Saint Therese’s life and her Spirituality of the Little Way
- The mystical wisdom of these three saints for life and contemporary times
- Other mystical teachers in the Carmelite tradition
- FURTHER READING – MYSTICAL COURSE DETAIL
- Your Instructor for this course will be Michelle Jones, BA, STB, Mth,STL, STD
Michelle is passionate about discovering the living flame of love within the theological tradition and helping others to encounter that love. Her area of specialisation is Spirituality, with a particular focus on Carmelite Spirituality. Michelle has previously worked as a lecturer at Notre Dame, and as the Director of the Centre for Faith Enrichment – the adult faith formation agency of the Archdiocese of Perth. She is a consecrated woman and lives a contemplative life of prayer in rural WA in affiliation with the Carmelite Monastery of Quidenham (UK).
Start the new course on 1st October 2020 and join the discussion
COST: £220 (Non-refundable Deposit with registration £70)
You may pay the full amount now (which includes the £70 non refundable deposit) by clicking the button below.
You can only pay the balance of the course admission price if you have first paid the deposit.